AFRICAN WRITERS TRUST AND COMMONWEALTH WRITERS EDITORIAL SKILLS DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP: CALL FOR APPLICATIONS, UGANDA, 16TH -20TH JUNE 2014 African Writers Trust in partnership with Commonwealth Writers will conduct an Editorial Skills Development workshop in Kampala, Uganda, from 16th to 20th June 2014. Led by Ellah Wakatama Allfrey, a book editor with over fifteen years experience […]
Direct from StoryMondo: Dear Writers This is to introduce StoryMondo, an exciting new website where you can publish your short stories and verse. But the writing we publish is special. It must have a “sense of place” – it must in some way illustrate features or evoke the atmosphere of a particular location. We publish […]
Review by Lucy A. Armstrong Intimacy that is kept distant is a rare attribute in a book, one which few authors – such as Margaret Atwood – have been able to master effectively. But Algerian writer Assia Djebar conveys this sense of secrecy and detachment beautifully as she traces the shadows of her women in […]
Commonwealth Writers is running a non-fiction workshop in Uganda from 9-13 June 2014. Led by the Chair of the 2014 Commonwealth Short Story Prize and former deputy editor of Granta, Ellah Allfrey, the workshop will explore different ways to approach creative non-fiction. Please note that this is not a journalism workshop. Creative non-fiction is a […]
The Sylt Foundation based on the island of Sylt, Germany is offering a two month literary residency to one selected winner of this prestigious Award. For details about the residency, application process, who to contact, etc, open the concept document below. Sylt Residency Concept Document 2014
Book review by Lucy A. Armstrong Reading Ben Okri’s spectral Stars of the New Curfew is like undergoing a series of transitory hallucinations – garish and gory and without the illumination of his Booker Prize winner The Famished Road a few years later. Basking in imagery of shadows and putrid, blazing colours, the short story […]
FEMRITE is calling for submissions for the 6th Residency for African Women Writers which will be co-hosted with the Swedish literary magazine Karavan, in October 2014. The 10-Day Writing Residency will give selected writers the opportunity to work on their writing projects, interact with other writers, give and receive literary feedback from mentors and to […]
A REVIEW OF MAX SIOLLUN’S ‘SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE’ By Henry Chukwuemeka Onyema Publisher: CASSAVA REPUBLIC Number of pages: 336 I consider the book essential reading for anyone who wants to understand Nigeria from 1983 till date, even though it covers the period 1983-1993. History is not popular in Nigeria. Rare is the Nigerian youth who […]
Badilisha Poetry is an online platform dedicated to archiving poetry of Africans who are either based on the continent or the Diaspora. The intention is to platform who and what Africa has to say to itself and the rest of the world. Badilisha already has a great selection of African poets on the website, over […]
The deadline for submission is 31st December 2013 midnight, East African time. For more on the Writivism 2014 Creative Writing Workshops for new, emerging, and aspiring writers in Africa, please see our earlier post and visit their site. Thank you!
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- Updates from African Writers Trust April 6, 2012
- Kofi Awoonor: Dearly loved & missed. Tributes and more September 22, 2013
- AFRICAN WRITERS TRUST AND COMMONWEALTH WRITERS CALL FOR APPLICATIONS February 27, 2014
- introducing StoryMondo February 24, 2014
- The Segregated Gaze: Assia Djebar’s Women of Algiers in Their Apartment February 4, 2014
- Non-fiction Workshop, Uganda 9-13 June 2014 February 1, 2014
- Call for Applications – African Writers Residency Award January 31, 2014
- rael nyanchama: thanks for the organization that helps and empower...
- TJH: Thank you for this review. I will ask that this b...
- Langa Sarakikya: Is there a theme?...
- Femi Ikutiyinu: African Television (AFTV) offers to partner with y...
- TJH: Let's note also the amazing vids that DZM and Poe...