For more details, check BN POETRY AWARD 2014 and website
Copied Message below from Binyavanga Wainaina, coordinator of the Africa39 Longlist. —- Dear Friends, Writers, publishers and African Literary organisations, I write to you with some urgency. I have recently been contracted to put together a long-list of 120 of most promising fiction authors under the age of 40 from Africa South of the Sahara […]
The Writivism 2014 workshops will be held on the 8th of February 2014, simultaneously in five different African cities. The one-day workshops are planned for Abuja, Harare, Kampala, Nairobi and Cape Town. Applicants will attend workshops in the cities closest to their residence. The Abuja workshop will be facilitated by Ukamaka Olisakwe, Kampala; Beatrice Lamwaka, Cape Town; Rachel […]
Irki is one of the poetry books published in 2013 that one ought to read before the year ends. Reason, it takes the idea of knitting to a poetic level that becomes crucial in understanding how each individual poem threads into a collection of 53 poems structured under four parts. “Letting Go,” which is Part […]
The Cape Town Book Fair is South Africa’s premier literary exhibition and programme that boasts a wide range of national and international displays, authors, workshops and literary functions. The biennial event, which is proudly owned by PASA (Publishers Association of South Africa), will take place between the 13–15 June 2014. Please find details, people to […]
2013 has been an exciting year for Poetry Potion. We set out to publish quarterly journals with themes that writers must pick apart, interpret and produce something amazing thereafter. The first print quarterly, themed On Being Human, was launched at Time of The Writer and the response has been great. Now, we will be launching […]
African Studies Association of the UK: Call for Applications for Teaching Fellowship Scheme, 2013-14
The ASAUK is offering £9,000 to support a teaching fellowship in the Social Sciences or Humanities for a UK-based academic to work in an African university. We are looking for applications from early career academics who have finished doctoral degrees on African topics in British universities since 2008. The award is open to applicants of […]
Press Release 26 Sep 2013 This year Commonwealth Writers turns its focus solely on the Commonwealth Short Story Prize as a unique award. The short story is an accessible form for writers across the Commonwealth who are able to enter from countries where there is little or no publishing industry, as well as being able […]
It is a dark day at African Writers Trust thinking of Kofi Awoonor who died in Nairobi in the Westgate Mall attack. Kofi Awoonor was invited by Storymoja writers festival, 19 -22 September 2013, to celebrate writing and storytelling along with other writers from Ghana/… (Nii Kwei Parkes and Kwame Dawes) and Uganda (Femrite ladies […]
The RSPB and The Rialto Nature Poetry Competition. As a BirdLife International Partner, RSPB works for birds and nature on an international scale. As well as offering poets the chance to win considerable cash prizes and publication of their poems, the competition will raise money for conservation and poetry. We are working in partnership with […]
WITO MUHIMU (Urgent Call): 10-12-2013
WITO MUHIMU WA KUWASILISHA: (PDF)
Apelo URGENTE à submissão de candidaturas: (PDF)
URGENT Appel à candidature: (PDF)
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- AWT’s Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi wins the Kwani? Manuscript Project July 3, 2013
- Kofi Awoonor: Dearly loved & missed. Tributes and more September 22, 2013
- CALL FOR BN POETRY AWARD 2014 December 6, 2013
- URGENT Call for submissions: Africa39 Project December 4, 2013
- Announcing Writivism 2014 Creative Writing Workshops November 24, 2013
- Irki is for Homeland, Kadija Sesay’s first poetry book November 21, 2013
- Announcing the Cape Town International Bookfair, June 13-15, 2014 October 21, 2013
- Femi Ikutiyinu: African Television (AFTV) offers to partner with y...
- TJH: Let's note also the amazing vids that DZM and Poe...
- Goretti Kyomuhendo: I just want to add my thoughts to this discussion:...
- Barya: Thank you! I think each writer has such challenges...
- Goretti Kyomuhendo: Well said, Susan. I was privileged to meet Kofi - ...