More from the International Public Dialogue–Where is the Great African Novel– that was held on 31 May, 2012. Also present was Doreen Baingana, Ugandan author of Tropical Fish, which won the 2006 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize, best first book, Africa, and an AWP Short Fiction Award. With her is Prof. Timothy Wangusa, author of Salutations: Poems 1965-1975 […]
Tag Archives | Commonwealth Writers Prize
By Goretti Kyomuhendo In my 15 years as a cultural worker, I don’t remember any one moment when I found it easy to raise funds to do my work. It has always been a struggle. Culture, and any work related to it is always pushed to the periphery. What is given more priority is usually […]
By Emmanuel Monychol I would like to congratulate Aminatta Forna (Sierra Leone) author of Memory of Love and Cynthia Jele (South Africa) author of Happiness is a four-letter word for winning this year’s Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best Book and Best First Book Africa region respectively.
By Omaya Daniel “And the winner of the Best Written Short Story competition is…” What a suspense! I held my breath and waited. This was at the closing ceremony of African Writers Trust workshop for young writers, which was held in February 2010 in Kampala.
By Emmanuel Monychol – student at Uganda Christian University. African Writers Trust (AWT) has helped solve the dilemma of a young African writer in Uganda. I was fortunate enough to attend the fruitful writers’ workshop in February 2010, in Kampala, Uganda. I was once a distressed young writer – with no sense of direction. […]
WITO MUHIMU (Urgent Call): 10-12-2013
WITO MUHIMU WA KUWASILISHA: (PDF)
Apelo URGENTE à submissão de candidaturas: (PDF)
URGENT Appel à candidature: (PDF)
- URGENT Call for submissions: Africa39 Project December 7, 2013
- CALL FOR BN POETRY AWARD 2014 December 6, 2013
- Announcing Writivism 2014 Creative Writing Workshops November 24, 2013
- Irki is for Homeland, Kadija Sesay’s first poetry book November 21, 2013
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- AWT’s Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi wins the Kwani? Manuscript Project July 3, 2013
- Femi Ikutiyinu: African Television (AFTV) offers to partner with y...
- TJH: Let's note also the amazing vids that DZM and Poe...
- Goretti Kyomuhendo: I just want to add my thoughts to this discussion:...
- Barya: Thank you! I think each writer has such challenges...