More from the International Public Dialogue–Where is the Great African Novel– that was held on 31 May, 2012. Also present was Doreen Baingana, Ugandan author of Tropical Fish, which won the 2006 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize, best first book, Africa, and an AWP Short Fiction Award. With her is Prof. Timothy Wangusa, author of Salutations: Poems 1965-1975 […]
Tag Archives | Commonwealth Writers Prize
By Goretti Kyomuhendo In my 15 years as a cultural worker, I don’t remember any one moment when I found it easy to raise funds to do my work. It has always been a struggle. Culture, and any work related to it is always pushed to the periphery. What is given more priority is usually […]
By Emmanuel Monychol I would like to congratulate Aminatta Forna (Sierra Leone) author of Memory of Love and Cynthia Jele (South Africa) author of Happiness is a four-letter word for winning this year’s Commonwealth Writers Prize for Best Book and Best First Book Africa region respectively.
By Omaya Daniel “And the winner of the Best Written Short Story competition is…” What a suspense! I held my breath and waited. This was at the closing ceremony of African Writers Trust workshop for young writers, which was held in February 2010 in Kampala.
By Emmanuel Monychol – student at Uganda Christian University. African Writers Trust (AWT) has helped solve the dilemma of a young African writer in Uganda. I was fortunate enough to attend the fruitful writers’ workshop in February 2010, in Kampala, Uganda. I was once a distressed young writer – with no sense of direction. […]
- The Essential Handbook for African Creative Writers March 31, 2014
- AFRICAN WRITERS TRUST AND COMMONWEALTH WRITERS CALL FOR APPLICATIONS February 27, 2014
- introducing StoryMondo February 24, 2014
- The Segregated Gaze: Assia Djebar’s Women of Algiers in Their Apartment February 4, 2014
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- Updates from African Writers Trust April 6, 2012
- Diana Karanja: Can't wait to read it. Meantime if you would like...
- Neha Sharma: The first of a trilogy, Ben Okri's book blows you...
- Sylvia Makandi: Read her book...
- Sylvia Makandi: Ho This great Lady, I met her when still writing...