By Guest writer: Shadreck Chikoti ( Malawi) The first piece I ever wrote in my life, which never saw the corridors of any publishing house, and whose whereabouts I can’t track, was a poem. So I started off on my writing voyage as a poet and my secret mentor at that time was Jack Mapanje; […]
Tag Archives | Jack Mapanje
“Gatherings like these help us to know each other and keep Africa writing,” Jack Mapanje said.“We should not separate ourselves, we should not be discriminatory, and we should continue working for the good of each other.” He said the best of writers “represent the conscience and memory of their generation,” arguing that there should be […]
Ladies and gentlemen: You are invited to: Public Reading with visiting writers James Dwalu (Liberia), Shadreck Chikoti (Malawi), Jack Mapanje (UK-Malawi), Nii Parkes (UK, Ghana) Alphonse Muambi (DR-Congo/ Netherlands), Billy Kahora (Kenya). Venue: Alfredo’z Dine Out, Bukoto (near Kabira Country Club) Date: Sunday 10th March 2013 Time: 5-7 p.m. Info: 0701 200-508 or 0783 170 137 […]
Public invitation to participate in the Uganda International Writers Conference 2013 Mark your calendars: African Writers Trust is organising an International writers’ conference in Kampala, Uganda, from 7th to 9th March 2013. The theme of the conference is Dialogue Across the Diaspora, Across the Continent. The conference will offer two activities: 1. Training sessions for […]
- Anthology of Non-fiction from Africa – Call for Proposals. Deadline 20 April March 21, 2015
- FT/OppenheimerFunds Emerging Voices Awards 2015 March 20, 2015
- Here to Stay: An African Literary Renaissance March 14, 2015
- Time, Place and the Diaspora Writer March 14, 2015
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- How I started writing: Steve Mwase August 19, 2011
- Mbizo Chirasha: Dear Uganda With compliments of the new year ...
- John Bosco Bongomin: Regards to you,sister Barya! Its great news to Ug...
- Leila Aboulela: Really enjoyed this. Excellent interview....
- Mulumba Ivan Matthias: Nice interview. It's an eye opener....