“A major mobile telecommunications service provider in Nigeria is sponsoring a new literary prize, billed as the “first ever pan-African prize celebrating first time writers of published fiction books”. The Etisalat Prize for Literature, which aims not only to promote African writing but also to boost the publishing industry, is open to entries from publishing [...]
Tag Archives | Kwani?
By Guest writer: Shadreck Chikoti ( Malawi) The first piece I ever wrote in my life, which never saw the corridors of any publishing house, and whose whereabouts I can’t track, was a poem. So I started off on my writing voyage as a poet and my secret mentor at that time was Jack Mapanje; [...]
Reminder: Deadline extended to 17 Sept. 2012 for the new Kwani Trust literary prize for African writing
We suspect that any & all visitors to AfricanWritersTrust.org already know about and regularly visit Kwani.org, the Internet home to Kwani Trust, one of Africa’s most dynamic cultural organizations. But since it can’t hurt to pay more attention to a very good thing, a reminder that
More from the International Public Dialogue–Where is the Great African Novel– that was held on 31 May, 2012. Also present was Doreen Baingana, Ugandan author of Tropical Fish, which won the 2006 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize, best first book, Africa, and an AWP Short Fiction Award. With her is Prof. Timothy Wangusa, author of Salutations: Poems 1965-1975 [...]
By Emmanuel Monychol – student at Uganda Christian University. African Writers Trust (AWT) has helped solve the dilemma of a young African writer in Uganda. I was fortunate enough to attend the fruitful writers’ workshop in February 2010, in Kampala, Uganda. I was once a distressed young writer – with no sense of direction. [...]
- Is The Commonwealth Writers’ Prize biased? March 27, 2011
- My Life Has A Price–Tina Okpara’s memoir of modern day slavery September 24, 2012
- Place Is Personal, says Leila Aboulela October 30, 2012
- How I started writing: Steve Mwase August 19, 2011
- Updates from African Writers Trust April 6, 2012
- Kwani? Manuscript Prize Shortlist Announced June 19, 2013
- Good News: Etisalat Prize for Literature June 13, 2013
- NoViolet Bulawayo discusses why “We Need New Names” June 13, 2013
- Writing My Truth: Hellen Nyana June 10, 2013
- How The Uganda International Writers Conference changed my life. June 7, 2013
- Jeanne: Great work Hellen! Being a writer in Uganda is def...
- Doreen Lwanga: This is great Hellen? First off, it was great t...
- Bwandungi: I cannot tell you how eager I am to be in touch wi...
- James Varney Dwalu: So true Shadreck. One greatest moment at the confe...
- Barya: Bravo, Shadreck! Seriously, you carried JP--“O...